Wednesday, January 28, 2009







Chris and I are learning how to make cheese. We've started with soft cheeses - mozzarella, ricotta, panir - hoping to work our way up to the hard ones with wax shells, colorful aging patterns and healthy aromas.

It's a fun way to spend an evening, talking and bumping into one another in the kitchen. Part science experiment, part Oregon Trail. In fact, the only way it could be better, in my opinion, is if it was bacon - without the messy pig slaughter bit.

Two gallons and a quart of milk yields about two pounds of mozzarella and two pounds of ricotta. The mozzarella from one batch topped a dozen medium-large pizzas for the girls' birthday party and the few days following. And it's incredibly creamy and flavorful - but that could just be the satisfaction of making it myself.

For supplies and recipes, go to New England Cheesemaking Supply Company.

1 comment:

Kate McHugh said...

No fooling?! I keep meaning to pick up some white vinegar to make paneer. I've made yogurt cheese - that's pretty easy :) I actually have a recipe book by Stonyfield Farms that's got a bunch of yogurt recipes. Now that we have a Trader Joe's I've been sucking down the greek yogurt... so perhaps I need to start making yogurt at home...